Monday 7 October 2013

Author of the week interview ~ Melissa Collins








Author Interview with Melissa Collins:

Claire Lamb Hi Melissa, first of all Congratulations on your Books Let Love in and Let Love Stay.
Can you please tell us a little about yourself and your books?

Melissa Collins Me - 30 something mom of three boys (4 yr old twins and a 19 mos old). I've been a teacher for the last 11 years and I'm also the chairperson of my department (English).

 My books - well, what do you want to know? They're NA contemporary romance. I got this crazy idea in my head for their story back in February and I thought "Hmm maybe I should write a book" So I did

Claire Lamb What inspired you to start writing?

Melissa Collins I've always been a writer - just usually research papers and stuff like that for school / work. But what started me writing fiction was when I was home on maternity leave for my youngest son. I was reading A LOT and I really enjoyed the escape element. So now I can get the escapism from my reading AND my writing

Claire Lamb Who is your favourite author?

Melissa Collins In romance - I love anything by Jasinda Wiler and Bella Andre. they were huge inspirations to me getting started writing. But my al time fave books are by Ken Follet (The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End).

Claire Lamb Why did you choose to write these types of books?

Melissa Collins The romance - the falling in love - the finding out who you are. All of it. I just love getting swept away in the emotions of it all

Claire Lamb What Book are you reading at the moment?

Melissa Collins The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher, Embrace by SE Hall and 28 and half Reasons Why by Denise Grover Swank (I bounce back and forth quite a bit)

Claire Lamb Outside of writing what do you do to relax?

Melissa Collins I read, but I also love to run. It helps me clear my mind. I can get a lot of thinking done on the treadmill

Claire Lamb Where did the idea for these books come from?

Melissa Collins I wanted to write about finding someone who is capable of giving you all you've ever wanted. Both Maddy and Reid have family issues to say the least and they learn to heal each other and themselves in the process of becoming family for each other,  I didn't really have any intention of writing about the secondary characters but I started to think of their stories and figured 8 books was better than 2

Claire Lamb so does that mean you have 8 books planned in the series?

Melissa Collins Somewhere around there - yes. Each of the characters will get their own books and I've just started a novella for Maddy and Reid that will be out in January

Claire Lamb Describe your books in three words?

Melissa Collins Steamy, romantic, funny

Claire Lamb  whats the 3rd book about?

Melissa Collins The third book, Let Love Heal, will be out on 10/28 and it's about Melanie (Maddy's best friend)

Claire Lamb Does Reid or Maddy remind you of anyone in your life?

Melissa Collins I think Maddy is a lot like me in some ways - snarky but still sweet. Reid - I wish there were men like that in my life. But yes, he is very much like my husband - sweet, thoughtful and genuinely kind

Claire Lamb Did you have any muses for your characters?

Melissa Collins Not any one person in particular - just the personalities really.

Claire Lamb Do you dream of your characters?

Melissa Collins haha! Yes, sometimes. I think about what they would say or how they would say it. They're very much alive in my head.

Claire Lamb In your books can you relate to any of the circumstances the characters go through, are there any of your own experiences or total fiction?

Melissa Collins Nah- my family is all alive and well. Nothing that they go through is something that I've lived through (thankfully). But I think the love they feel and the emotions they share are very real and could be a part of anyones life.

Claire Lamb Are the names of characters in your novel important to you?

Melissa Collins Yes - those all come from people who are important to me. Madeleine is my grandmother's name and the name that I wanted to use if I ever had a girl. Reid - a boy name that I wanted to use for my kids, but just didnt. Lucy (Momma) is my husband's grandmother's name. Jack - my sons name. Braden - my other son's name. James (Lucy's late husband) my husband's name

Claire Lamb Okay If you had 24 hours with Reid, what would you do lol?

Melissa Collins Oh my dear lord

Melissa Collins Ummm yeah - there are some things I'm not willing to put words to!! Let's just say I would do a lot!

Claire Lamb Does your family support you with your writing?

Melissa Collins Very much so. I have an amazing family. My husband is the best. He's the first person to read anything I write and he's sooo not a reader

Claire Lamb What is your least favourite part in the writing progress?

Melissa Collins Editing - I hate it, I know that it makes my book stronger and all that, but once I'm done with the actual story I don't particularly like going back to fix the storyline or things like that. Finding and changing typos is one thing, but when I have to re-write scenes because they don't fit or they need something else, it's difficult for me to see them differently

Claire Lamb E reader or Paperback?

Melissa Collins I never thought I would be an e-reader only, but I so am. I was a paperback reader for so long that I thought I would never be able to read anything else, but I swear I would beat up anyone who tried to steal my kindle

Claire Lamb me too I just love that a little machine can hold so many books lol

Claire Lamb If you could pick another author to co-write with who would it be and why?

Melissa Collins I so don't think I'm cut out for co-writing. I couldn't give up that control, but in a perfect world, I'd love to write with Bella Andre. All of her books are based in San Fransisco and I would sooooo love to visit there

Claire Lamb Do you do anything when writing? (aka listen to music, sit on floor ect)?

Melissa Collins Music - definitely. I've always need background noise so a lot of my writing takes place in my livingroom while my kids are bouncing around

Claire Lamb If you wrote a book about your life....what name would you call yourself and what 3 words would you use to describe your personality?

Melissa Collins Sarcastic, smart , funny - I think I would name my character Grace (such a pretty name).

Claire Lamb Ok easy one top five book boyfriends?

Melissa Collins That's easy!?!?!? That's like picking a favorite kid! but okay here goes: Christian Grey (seriously - there's no contest there), The Professor, Will Price (Heywood's Him / Her), Andrew Parrish (The Edge of Never), Ian Sterling (True Love Story)

Claire Lamb yeah well it was easy maybe last year lol so much hotness out there now lmao

Claire Lamb Has there been a review that has stood out the most for you?

Melissa Collins Yes - there's one on BN that says something about my books making her (I'm assuming it was a her) want to be a better person. It made her want to hold her family tighter and it gave her a new definition of family. that review made me forget every negative word that people have ever said about my books.

Claire Lamb Which book - by another author - are you looking forward to the most?

Melissa Collins Gabriel's Redemption, The Edge of Always, Her (even though I've already read it 

Claire Lamb ok so to finish up a little quickfire round

Favourite Colour?
Favourite Food?
Night or Day?
Favourite movie?
Favourite actor?
Favourite Drink?
Bed Made or unmade?

Melissa Collins Blue, sushi, day, Shawshank Redemption, Morgan Freeman, Pinot Grigio (cosmo is a close second), unmade - all the time it's unmade

Claire Lamb yay found someone same as me with unmade bed lmao

Claire Lamb Melissa you have been a star today thank you so much for taking the time out to speak with me, Is there anything you would like to say to your fans?


Melissa Collins Thanks for having me  It was fun. To my fans (I still, and will hopefully always, feel weird to think that I even have fans) - I have to say thank you so much for everything. I never in a million years thought that I would have the fan base that I do. Your reviews, posts, shares all mean the world to me and I hope that my books offer you the same kind of escape that they offer me.






You can stalk Melissa on the following links:






Twitter - @mcollinsauthor



Purchase links for Let Love In and Let Love Stay:

For Let Love In:







For Let Love Stay:







No comments:

Post a Comment